Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mentorship




There are many variations to the adage about continuing to learn something new every day. ‘The day you cease to learn something new is the day you cease to be.’; ‘The wise man learns something new each and every day.’; ‘I am learning all the time.  The tombstone will be my diploma.’; ‘You learn something every day if you pay attention.’; ‘I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. ‘

Today I learned the value of having a business mentor. When I started Leaf It To Us I thought that between my education in Business Management and my business partner having an MBA in Tax Accounting that I had everything that I needed to run my small business. I had a retired professional with over 30 years of experience in HR management and an MBA in Human Resources on speed dial in case I needed advice on staffing issues. I have another professional who taught corporate psychology for most of his career at the university level to help me understand the intricacies of business. What more could I need?

It was suggested earlier this year that I get a mentor to help me grow my business. I was somewhat resistant to the idea at first. After asking a friend to serve as an advisor and having that relationship almost implode due to our diverging styles I warmed up to the idea but, had no idea where to start. 

I recently posted on OPEN Forum asking specifically “Where is the best place to find a mentor?” The feedback that I received was priceless. I since contacted several other professionals and today finally spoke with someone who agreed to help guide me as I grow my business. Today, he gave me some very interesting things to think about, helped me to formulate a plan for the next couple of weeks and referred me to other professionals that may be able to assist me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment