Sunday, December 15, 2013

Giving Back




Often we hear about the charitable acts and community relations of big businesses. These acts of goodwill often are highlighted in the media and publicized by those companies in their internal literature. This type of exposure can often shape the public’s perception of these companies; often endearing them to the public. Unfortunately, small businesses do not often benefit from that type of exposure; but opportunities for good will abound if the small business owner knows where to look.

Last season I served as an Advisor/Volunteer to the E. 177th and E. 176th community garden. Because my grandmother is a longtime resident of E. 177th street I was very familiar with the neighborhood and the needs of the people. The community is aging but the majority of the residents are still homeowners. 

After a dilapidated house on E. 177th street was torn down, the residents decided that instead of allowing the vacant lot to develop into an eyesore, that they would pool their resources and build a community garden. This is a growing trend in many urban areas however, the neighborhood surrounding E. 177th street is not a victim of inner city blight. This is still a middle class neighborhood; one where the neighbors all know and look out for each other. 

My assistance included helping the organizers interpret the soil analysis report that was provided to them. Many never knew that so much went into determining the condition of the soil. I also donated plant materials to the garden and taught the residents how to start seeds indoors with peat pots. Most significantly I donated approximately 40 hours of my company’s labor to the project. Not that the time that I spent on site is not important but, like most other small businesses controlling labor costs is of critical importance. So, to pay my crew to spread top soil, mulch and weed the garden is a big investment.  One which I look forward to doing again next year. 

In addition to the work with the community garden I have already been contacted by a preschool program and asked to share my knowledge about plant science and landscaping with their students. The prospect of exposing our youth to the green industry is very exciting to me. These young people may not be the future of the industry or paying customers but, the education that I provide may help sustain our planet for years to come. 

This is why it is important for even small businesses to give back. Even if we don’t get the notoriety that our larger brethren do.

No comments:

Post a Comment