Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Making Mountains Out of Mole HIlls



My introduction to garden and landscape management was as a youth in the 1970’s. Both my mother and grandmother had beautiful flower gardens and my grandfather, who was a child of sharecroppers, maintained a small vegetable garden every year. Not only did I learn at an early age to understand the life cycle of plants but also the life cycles of predators. 

One particular predator that I learned a lot about was the Japanese Beetle. The adult beetle with its shiny metallic wings was the scourge of grandma’s precious roses. They would show up in late June just after Father’s Day and begin munching on the leaves of her rose bushes. In response as soon as grandma noticed the first beetle, the foliage of her roses would be coated with Sevin Dust until Labor Day. As a result of this annual ritual, the beetle populations never really increased on our property, and I never noticed the affect that these pests have on turf; that is, until I began working in the landscape industry. 

In the life cycle of the Japanese Beetle the adult beetle burrows underground in September (just after Labor Day) and lays eggs. These eggs spawn “white grubs”. The white grubs then feed on plant (turf) roots. As with all things in the evolutionary chain white grubs have natural predators, moles. Where there is an abundance of white grubs moles feast on the protein rich grubs causing the ‘molehills’ and the subterranean tracks that are emblematic of their presence. 

I began receiving complaints from my customers about moles three summers ago. Homeowners were complaining that the moles were destroying their turf and wanted something done about those “varmints”. I had no idea what to do about their mole problems. This was actually the main factor in me becoming licensed as a pesticide applicator. What I learned is that the moles were not destroying my customer’s lawns but the larvae of the Japanese Beetles were the culprits.

The turf is actually destroyed by the white grubs that have feasted on the tender roots. This activity is what causes the lawn to brown and pull away from the soil. Fortunately there are several ways for us to treat the problems that are caused by white grubs. So, if you notice molehills in your lawn next spring, don’t make mountains out of them. Call your local pesticide certified, professional landscaper and let them get to the “root” of the problem. 

 Like us on Facebook or find us on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment