Saturday, January 4, 2014

Support Network



As I mentioned in my last entry, sometimes the “Growing Pains” of a small business are not exclusive to the business itself but, actually include your domestic situation. Leaf It To Us is no different. 

Fast forward to this year, 2013; gone is the wife and now, I have an amazingly supportive girlfriend. I am eternally grateful to have her in my life. She challenges me in ways that my wife never could have. A successful business woman in her own right she has high expectations and is not afraid to tell me when she thinks something can be done better or should not be done at all. She is where my support network begins.

The pains of growing the business led to several setbacks this year. Leaving the security of a full time job placed additional strains on me to grow the business. I’ve had to deal with a sustained period of injury/illness for the first time and the weather in our area also became a major challenge for the first time. Being in a seasonal business without a full time job to fall back on in the off season for the first time in several years also brings a new set of constraints and challenges. My girlfriend experienced all of this with me.

My most successful year to date from a p/l standpoint came in 2012. She questioned why with an influx of new clientele this year (2013) I was so much less successful than last. She took a hard look at my business practices; gave me her thoughts on my year and challenged me to take a hard look at my business model. She is critical because she wants me to succeed even as I struggle to manage my “Growing Pains”. 

Although we may not always like it this is what our support network is there for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment