Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Behind Every Great Man...



In my last entry I articulated my experiences surrounding having a supportive ‘life partner’ as the lynchpin of a support network verses having a critical partner. It is crucial to the success of a small businessman to have a strong support network. No matter how talented an individual may be it is difficult to build a business in a vacuum. The ability to ‘come home to’ someone who embraces your vision is treasure that cannot be underestimated. 

While my girlfriend has not embraced or agreed with every decision that I have made she never loses sight of my vision and does everything that she can to support it. This blog and many of the other things that I am doing this winter in preparation for the 2014 landscaping season can be attributed to inspirations from my girlfriend. 

Some of the changes that I am making in regards to Leaf It To Us are geared towards positioning the company for a higher level of market recognition. By increasing brand awareness, I expect to add to the level of overall success by creating an entity that is identifiable outside of the work done in the field. This identifiable presence is the footprint that we leave as a company; on the web, with our clients, and in our community. Other changes are solely related to my relationships with other people.

I referred to my girlfriend as the lynchpin of my support network. The term lynchpin suggests that a person brings (holds) together other people. My pursuit of a mentor is directly related to her insights. In fact, she can take credit for my willingness to expand my network of professional contacts into a much more varied set industries. The most important thing that a supportive ‘life partner’ brings to a relationship with a small businessman is that one person that you can celebrate with or share a tough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment